Subscribe To The Los Angeles Radio Reading Service
Everything you need to know to get started listening to LARRS!
In the Los Angeles area alone, there are about 140,000 individuals who have visual impairments. If you were blind, visually impaired, physically unable to turn a page, or a senior citizen with an age–related print disability, how would you stay informed? Without timely news, opinions, events listings, consumer information, and community service reports from printed sources, it is nearly impossible for people who are print impaired to be fully participating citizens. This is why The Los Angeles Radio Reading Service (LARRS) was created.
LARRS meets this need for needed information by providing daily radio/internet broadcasts of newspapers, magazines, ads and books, enabling our listeners to be aware of local events, election information, back–page stories, grocery and department store ads, sports pages, and even Dear Abby and the comics. The Los Angeles Radio Reading Service broadcasts 24 hours a day, 7 days a week on the sub–carrier frequency of 88.5 FM.
Reception of the signal requires a special SCA radio (pictured left) which may be obtained from LARRS. Please keep reading to learn more about the process of subscribing to and enjoying the benefits of The Los Angeles Radio Reading Service.
To help meet the need of blind and visually impaired persons on a global scale, LARRS also provides a live audio programming stream on the world wide web which is available through this website. This particular web page is designed to answer the many questions that you may have about LARRS and how to aquire the service.
How to subscribe to the Los Angeles Radio Reading Service / FAQ answers
- You must possess a State–Issued ID number proving that you are disabled
- You need to know how well you receive radio station KCSN (88.5FM) in your home to receive the LARRS signal
- SCA Radios are available for long–term loan to low–income listeners
- If you'd like to own your own radio in perpetuity the cost incurred is $90.00 dollars
- A LARRS volunteer in your area will come to your home and set the radio up for you
- You may also come to the LARRS Live Broadcast Location at the Northridge Fashion Center and pick up your radio
- The LARRS SCA radio is tuned to the 67 Khz subcarrier frequency of KCSN Radio (88.5 FM)
- SCA is an abbreviation for Sub Carrier Authorization (Federal Communications Commission, FCC Authorization)
- An SCA is broadcast at 10% of the power of the radio station's main transmitter (low power)
If you would like to subscribe to the Los Angeles Radio Reading Service please call Jolie Mason at (818) 345-2874 or send her an email at this address: firstname.lastname@example.org
In closing, we are here to help you. If you have any more questions or concerns just call Jolie Mason or contact her via email. Thankyou for your interest in the Los Angeles Radio Reading Service.